Fort Edward Chamber of Commerce
Fort Edward, New York




The Village of Fort Edward is located on the upper Hudson River and Champlain Canal. This photo was taken from Rogers Island, looking across at the Fort Edward Yacht Basin. Today is opening day on the Champlain Canal, and the first boat to arrive is Tug 44. The Village is in the background, a nice example of Small Town America.



A very fine dinner can be had at The Anvil Inn Restaurant, about 2 blocks south on the main street, Broadway. It's located in an 1840 blacksmith shop. The Historic Marker sign in front of the tree designates this spot as the north end of the old military fort that gave Fort Edward its name.



The Old Fort House Museum was built in 1772 with timbers taken from the ruins of the old military fort. It has been host to various notables including George Washington and James Madison. Today it is a museum with the interior decorated with wonderful furniture and items from the Revolutionary War period. Also on the grounds are other buildings collected from around town, including an old schoolhouse, a lawyer's office and a toll house. Definitely worth a visit.



The Jane McCrea House, built around 1760. In this house in 1777 a young woman named Jane McCrea was captured and then killed & scalped by Indians allied with the invading British Army. This story was later used as the basis of James Fenimore Cooper's book "Last of The Mohicans".



The Fort Edward Train Station was built in 1900 and is the Amtrack station known as "Glens Falls / Fort Edward". Inside is The Station Deli.



We have a very fine pool hall, King Smiley Billiards.



Fort Edward Agway / True Value is the perfect place for spring flowers, garden supplies, and hardware.



This lovely aqueduct arch made of handcut limestone blocks, is a fragment of a previous version of the Champlain Canal, in service from 1865 to 1940. The location is near the corner of Broadway and Argyle Street in the south end of the Village.



The Champlain Canal is an integral part of Fort Edward. Seen here is Tug Urger, the 112 year old flagship of the NYS Canal Corp, entering Lock C-7 in the Village. That's the Route 4 bridge in the background.



A beautiful 1860s victorian house, now open as the M.B. Kilmer Funeral Home



A view looking up McIntyre Street after a snow storm in December 2014.




Fort Edward Chamber of Commerce Home Page


Website hosted by tug44.org
eXTReMe Tracker