Fort Edward Chamber of Commerce
Fort Edward, New York



Fort Edward History


We offer a collection of random fragments of Fort Edward's long and illustrious history, presented in no particular order. Fort Edward was once the third largest city in North America after Boston and New York City. In the French and Indian War in 1755, Fort Edward housed 30,000 troops, and sometimes as many as 100,000 along with all the tradesmen, merchants and camp followers that came with the Army.

New sections will be added to this page regularly, so come back for another look soon.

Click on any of the photos below to see more information on each.






Jane McCrea, Sarah McNeil and Duncan Campbell, three of Fort Edward's most important historical figures, are buried together in a small enclosure in Union Cemetery.
Click to learn more.



In 1863, the proprietor of Fort Edward's Harvey General Store coined his own money.
Click to learn more.



This 200 year old barn is being converted into the new Canal Street Farmer's Market.
Click to learn more.




The Haxstun Pottery factory, founded in 1872 in Fort Edward, was a leading pottery supplier.
Click to learn more.




This beautiful house at 82 Broadway is a fine example of 1860s Victorian architecture.
Click to learn more.



The beautiful Fort Edward Train Station has served our community since 1900 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Click to learn more.



Rogers' Rangers were founded at the military fort on Fort Edward's Rogers Island in 1755, and is the ancestor of the modern US Army Rangers.
Click to learn more.



Since prehistoric times, Fort Edward has always been a major transportation center. "By River, By Road, By Rail - All Paths Lead to Fort Edward."
Click to learn more.


Fort Edward Chamber of Commerce Home Page


Website hosted by tug44.org
eXTReMe Tracker